It’s January, and most of us are in full-on winter mode. (Chicago is having a weird “warm” streak of 40+ temps recently, but I’m not falling for it.) I’ve already done a good amount of posts on my favorite coats (including here and here) because I’m an excessive collector of coats- parka, sherpa, teddy, peacoat, raincoat, duffle coat. You name it, I’m here for it. But what’s the best kind of coat? A coat that’s on sale! This time of year is prime time for winter item sales, and I’m always keeping my eye out.
I’ve been a devotee of J. Crew’s chateau parka for years (you can read about it here and see the pic below!), but I finally jumped on the puffy coat trend this year after finding a great Michael Kors piece at TJ Maxx. I maintain that I’ve never once felt cold in my J. Crew parka, but I admit that a giant sleeping bag-esque piece has been nice on my morning walks to work.
My top tips for finding a great winter coat on sale are-
- Just refuse to pay full price! There are too many options to resign yourself to dropping a ton of money.
- Spend time checking stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack, etc. There’s so much inventory every year that overstock inevitably ends up in these discount stores.
- Check back frequently if the coat you want it sold out. I’ve gotten quite a few J. Crew, Nordstrom, and Loft coats after people have made returns. Now that people are coming back from their holiday hiatuses the returns will start coming!
- Stay picky! Don’t buy a coat just because it’s on sale. If you look hard enough, you’ll be able to find one you actually want.
- Put all your favorites into your online carts. You can then compare prices or wait for even bigger price drops!
I’ve linked the 12 best winter coats on sale in the links and widget below! Hopefully, this helps you round out your winter wardrobe and find something you actually want to wear! Your coat is going to be the main item people see you wearing for the next 2 (or, in our case, 4) months so invest the time to find one you love!
01. J. Crew Perfect Winter Parka // 02. J. Crew Chateau Parka // 03. Cole Haan Parka Coat // 04. Sam Edelman Faux Fur Trim Coat// 05. S13 Canyon Faux Fur Anorak // 06. Madewell Quilted Military Coat // 07. Madewell x Penfield Medbury Jacket // 08. Faux Fur Lined Parka // 09. Faux Fur Trim Coat // 10. T Tahari Asymmetrical Coat // 11. Laundry by Shelli Segal Quilted Coat // 12. Kate Spade Leopard Coat